We are working hard at teaching you healthy eating habits. Like every normal toddler, you have your preferences. For example, you won’t eat meat or veggies (unless I sneak it in), and since we’re still nursing you prefer your “ninny” over even the most tempting of treats. For these reasons, Mom has been forced to get creative with your meals. I read somewhere recently that cutting foods into finger bites and serving with dips can make mealtime fun, so of course, we experimented.
Your favorite by far is ketchup, you’ll dip just about anything in it. 😝 You also love guacamole dip, if I spice it up just right. And you really enjoy Italian dressing, usually with cucumbers. When something tastes delicious your response is “Nom Nom!” Adorable!
With dipping, I found you experimenting with new foods, and I even caught you nibbling on foods you normally wouldnt eat. Not only are you eating more, you’re eating better and mealtime has become a lot more fun.
With So Much Love,
8 Finger Food & Dip Ideas For Kids
- Sliced Apples with Peanut Butter Dip – Warm PB in 5 second intervals until it reaches desired consistency for dipping.
- Sliced Strawberries with Greek Yogurt – I add a little honey or agave to sweeten the yogurt.
- Carrot & Celery Sticks with Hummus – We like the Sabra brand.
- Crackers with Guacamole – Here is Dutch’s favorite guacamole recipe: 1 avocado, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder or minced fresh, 1/4 tsp cilantro or minced fresh, dash of lime juice, dash of cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste.
- Eggs with Ketchup – Here is Dutch’s favorite egg recipe: 1 egg, dash of milk, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk well and cook into an omelette (add cheese, protein or veggies if desired), cut into dipping bites.
- Pizza Bites with Ranch Dressing – I keep frozen bites on hand, but we also like English Muffin Pizzas: 1 English Muffin cut in half, 2 tbsp pasta sauce, 2 baby bell mozzarella rounds. Spread pasta sauce on muffins. Top each with a mozzarella round, broil in oven until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Cucumber Sticks with Italian Dressing – You can easily add diced ham or salami to this one.
- Hot Dogs with Ketchup – We like all beef franks, cut them into slices and pan fry for a few minutes until slightly browned.
I scored a set of 10 colorful dipping cups at a yard sale a few months ago! They are Dutch’s favorite to dip from, and he usually stacks them while I cook. Here’s a link to a set of 12 dipping cups from Amazon. I will disclose that this is an affiliate link, which means if you click on it and purchase something, I will receive a small commission. These funds help support our creative projects. 🙂 Be sure to read my fill disclosure here.
Subscribe Now & Never Miss A Post!
What special finger foods and dips do you prepare for your child? I’d love to hear your ideas!
P.s. Don’t forget to Follow!
RELATED: 12 More Toddler Meal Ideas
RELATED: 14 Toddler Meal Ideas