I’m popping in today to share a brief, yet detailed tutorial on how to make these DIY Vintage Terra Cotta Coasters. I’ve also provided a free printable for the floral cut out, which I designed with dimensions to fit the center of these coasters perfectly. I hope you enjoy this craft tutorial, they were so much fun to create!
DIY Vintage Terra Cotta Coasters
- 4 Inch Terracotta Saucers (I found mine at my local hardware store for around 77 cents each)
- Paint in Antique White (Chalk or Acrylic)
- Paint Brush
- Medium Grit Sandpaper
- Finishing Wax
- Floral Cutout (Find the free printable below, I printed mine on white cardstock)
- Mod Podge
- Sponge Paint Brush
- Paint your terracotta saucers with two coats of antique white paint, allowing at least 1 hour to dry in between.
- Take your sandpaper and gently rub it along the edges of the saucers to allow some of the base color to show through.
- Once you’ve achieved the distressed finished you like, clean the saucers with a soft cloth to remove any dust.
- Take your finishing wax and paint a thin layer everywhere but the center of the saucer. Allow at least 1 hour to dry.
- Print your floral cutout on white cardstock.
- Apply a thin layer of mod podge to the center of the saucer with your sponge brush. Place the cutout directly on top and use your fingers to smooth out any bumps taking special care around the edges. Allow at least 1 hour to dry.
- Use your sponge brush to apply 1-2 more thin layers of mod podge all over the top of the floral cutout.
Here is your free PDF floral cutout printable: Floral Cutout PDF
A special thank you to Suburbia Unwrapped for her post Terra Cotta Coasters, which served as creative inspiration for this project.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
I’d love to connect with you. Get a deeper look and behind the scenes updates on all my creative projects from the following channels:
Interested in receiving each new post to your inbox? Just type your email address below to subscribe.
See you next time!