I’ve been enjoying working up holiday projects for the last several weeks. Crafting this Gingerbread Man in particular was fun because of all the cute embellishments that made him come to life. I also went offbeat with the color of his body, choosing gold instead of the suggested tan or brown (I guess he might be more of a blondie than a ginger). Either way, he would make a great gift, or just let him add a personal touch to your home decor this holiday season. In this post I’ve included a link to the free pattern, plus a a step by step tutorial. Enjoy!
EASY DIY Gingerbread Man Crochet Ornament
Lightweight Yarn in Gold, Size 3
Size F Hook (3.5 mm)
2 Black Buttons, for Eyes
3 White Buttons, for Body
Lightweight Yarn in Red, for Scarf
Scrap Yarn in Black, for Mouth
Large Eyed Needle, for Weaving Ends
Smaller Needle, for Sewing Buttons
Thread, for Sewing Buttons
Click HERE for the free PDF Gingerbread Man pattern. (Credit: Priscilla Hewitt from priscillascrochet.net)
1. Using gold yarn make 2 gingerbread men, weave in ends and block to same size.
2. Next, make the scarf by using red yarn. Chain 21, Sc in each stitch across. Fasten off and weave in ends. Block in a straight line.
3. Once dry, take one gingerbread man and with right side facing sew 2 black buttons to his head to resemble eyes. Using your scrap black yarn, sew 4-5 stitches across his head to resemble a mouth, weave in ends.
4. Using your needle and thread, sew 3 white buttons down the front of his body.
5. With wrong sides facing each other, use gold yarn again to attach the pieces together with a Sc border. Once you reach the top of his head, Ch 20 then slip stitch in the same space, making an ornament loop. Be sure to leave an open space to stuff him with pillow stuffing, making him 3 dimensional. Finish sewing the up open space and weave in ends.
5. To finish, wrap the scarf around his neck and sew it in place with red yarn.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
I’d love to connect with you. Get a deeper look and behind the scenes updates on all my creative projects from the following channels:
Interested in receiving each new post to your inbox? Just type your email address below to subscribe.
See you next time!
5 thoughts on “Easy DIY Gingerbread Man Crochet Ornament”
Wow. That is neat. Gingerbread Man looks so cute!
Thank you! I had a lot of fun making him 😊 do you like to crochet?
I can see that you love to crochet. 🙂 The final products look cool. This is very creative. I don’t know how to crochet 😦 but I do admire when I see such a creative work. Have a wonderful evening.