Artichokes rank high on my list of favorite superfoods. Not only are they delicious, just look at some of the nutritional benefits below:
- Artichokes are rich in antioxidants, even greater than dark chocolate, blueberries, and red wine.
- Their fiber content averages around 10 grams per one prepared artichoke, making them even more fibrous than lima beans, green peas, and broccoli.
- Being high in folic acid, artichokes are the perfect snack for expecting mamas in prevention of complications during pregnancy and childbirth.
- High in Vitamin K, artichokes support brain health protecting against cognitive diseases and degeneration.
Artichokes are easy to prepare and delicious when steamed and seasoned to perfection. I prepare the following recipe for my family often. It’s packed full of flavor and as simple as can be. Enjoy the taste and health benefits of this awesome superfood.
Best Ever Steamed Artichokes
2 Cups Chicken Broth (or enough to fill your stock pot just below colander insert)
2 Tsp Minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Bay leaf
2 Tbsp Butter, Melted
Course Sea Salt
4 Tbsp Mayonnaise, or 4 Tbsp Ranch Dressing, or 4 Tbsp Melted Butter (for dipping)
- Fill a large stock pot with chicken broth. Add garlic, lemon juice, and bay leaf. Insert steaming colander and place artichokes on top. Cover and bring to boil over medium-high heat for 20-25 minutes until tender. You’ll know they are done when you can pierce the stem easily with a fork.
- Once cool enough to handle, cut the artichokes in half lengthwise. Brush the inner leaves with melted butter and sprinkle cracked pepper and sea salt on top.
- Dip the leaves in mayonnaise with cracked pepper, ranch dressing, or melted butter.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
I’d love to connect with you. Get a deeper look and behind the scenes updates on all my creative projects from the following channels:
Interested in receiving each new post to your inbox? Just type your email address below to subscribe.
See you next time!